Date: Sunday, November 5th, 2023
Time: 8:00am to 5:30pm
Location: West High School: 20401 Victor St, Torrance, CA 90503
Roll Call: Registration/Sign-in will take place from 8:00am to 8:30 am
Eligibility: Must be a Valid AUSKF Member or fill tournament waiver
Individual Entry (18 years and under) $15.00 per person
Individual Entry (19 years and up) $20.00 per person
Team Entry $20.00 per dojo (*Entry in the team division is not a requirement)
Bento (Lunch box): $12.00 per person (*Bento will be provided for all Shinpan)
INDIVIDUAL TOURNAMENT with the following divisions:
a. 9 & Under Boys & Girls
b. 10-11 Boys & Girls
c. 12-13 Boys & Girls
d. 14-15 Boys
e. 16-18 Boys (Any Kyu & Dan)
f. 14-18 Girls (Any Kyu & Dan)
g. Men’s 1-2 Dan [Eto Cup]
h. Men’s 3-4 Dan [Nakabara Cup]
i. Men’s 5 Dan and Up [Hori Cup]
j. Women’s Dan [Akune Cup]
k. Adult Kyu (19 & Over, Men & Women) [Lorimer Cup]
l. 50 Years and Over Dan (Men & Women) [Takenaka Cup]
7. SPECIAL DIVISION: 5 Player Dojo Team
Rules for Individual Divisions
● Yudansha Junior Boys and Girls can enter their respective age division AND
Yudansha/Women’s division (ex. 16-18 Boys AND Men’s Dan OR 14-18 Girls AND
Women’s Dan). All other competitors can only participate in one division.
● Tsuki Waza and Jodan style are permitted for YUDANSHA and 16-18 years old Sr. Youth
Division only. Nito-ryu is permitted for 19 years and older YUDANSHA
● Youth Division Time Limit (All 18 and Under Boys and Girls Divisions):
o All Round Robin matches (2 minutes and No Encho – Hantei)
o Tournament Round Matches (3 minutes and unlimited Encho)
● Adult Kyu Division Time Limit:
o NO Round Robin matches
o All Adult Kyu Divisions (3 minutes and unlimited Encho)
● Yudansha Division Time Limit:
o NO Round Robin matches
o All Yudansha Divisions (3 minutes and unlimited Encho)
Rules: for Team
● Team Match: 5 person team (Anyone: all age, gender, rank)
● We will be collecting $20 per team for entry free. (Only one team per dojo)
● For dojos in Southern California (SCKO, SCKF, and WKF), you will need at least 3
Kenshi from the same dojo. If you do not have enough to complete the 5, you
will be allowed to recruit the remaining Kenshi (1-2) from other dojos.
● If a Yudansha adult and a youth are to have a match, we will honor the Yudansha
rules. This will allow the Yudansha to do Jo-dan, Ni-to, and Tsuki.
● For youths entering the team match, please make sure they are capable and old
enough to fight against adults. We suggest at least youth in high school.
● Time Limit: 3 minutes and No Encho
● If the team has only 3 players, place them in the Senpo, Chuken, and Taisho position.
● If the team has only 4 players, place them in the Senpo, Chuken, Fukusho, and Taisho
● Team order cannot be changed once submitted.
● Regulations of the matches will follow “The Regulation of Kendo Shiai and Shinpan” set
forth by the International Kendo Federation (FIK).
● In order to run the tournament efficiently, please have an adult accompany youth
division players at all times.
● Division Ranks as of November 5th, 2023
● Age as of November 5th, 2023
● Players are responsible for bringing their own MEJIRUSHI (Red/White indicator)
● Team members cannot be modified after the tournament deadline date. However, if
unforeseen situations such as injuries occur, the tournament committee will allow
dialogue for possible team changes. Please promptly notify the SCKO Competition
Committee of any team changes. The SCKO Competition Committee has the right to
decline any team changes after the tournament deadline date.
We would like to announce for Junior Butokuden Summer Camp. The purpose of this summer camp is to become stronger as a dojo and to discipline the human character through the kendo. We are planning the special practice which is for basic skills, technical skills, Shiai skills, and kendo seminar . Also planning some recreation other than kendo in after every practice to strengthen our bonds.
Date :July 31- August 4, 2023 (5 days)
Time : 9:00 – 12:00 AM
Locate : Butokuden dojo
Entry Fee : $50 (Cash or Check)
Date: Sunday, August 6, 2023
Location: Long Beach Pyramid
Address: 1250 N Bellflower Blvd. Long Beach, CA 90840
Sign In: 8:00 AM – 8:45 AM
Entry Fee: $30
Deadline: July 18, 2023
Adult Kyu (18 years and Older)
4 Dan and up
Womens (Shodan & Up, 15 years and Older)
This is one of our Dojo’s biggest event of the year! Kids, adults, parents, significant other are all welcome! This year, we will hold the Gasshuku in Lompoc. Enjoy a weekend of Kendo, with great wine and BBQ.
Picture’s from 2021 Winery Gasshuku.
Practice: Cabrillo High School 4350 Constellation Rd, Lompoc, CA 93436
Wine and BBQ: Slay Estate & Vineyard map
6635 East Hwy 246, Lompoc, CA, 93436
- Dojo Rental fee: To be split within kendo players. Adults $30 – $50 depending on the number of participants, 18 & under Free.
- BBQ & Wine: Adult: $40, 18 & under: $10
More details to follow. Save the date!
RSVP May 25, 2023
25th CALIFORNIA MEMORIAL KENDO TEAM TOURNAMENT
1. Date: Sunday, June 11th, 2023
2. Location: Torrance High School: 2200 W Carson St, Torrance, CA 90501
3. Roll Call: Registration/Sign-in will take place from 8:00am to 8:30 am.
4. Eligibility: Must be a Valid AUSKF Member
5. Event: TEAM TOURNAMENT (three players per team) with the following divisions:
● 11 years and under Kids Division
● 12-14 years-old Jr.Youth Division
● 15-18 years-old Sr. Youth Division
● Adult Kyu Division (19 years old and up)
● Women’s Division (15 years old and up)
● Yudansha Division
Date and Time: Saturday, May 6th, 2023
Gym Open at 7:00AM, Registration 8:00AM ~ 8:30AM
Place: Pomona High School
Address: 475 Bangor St, Pomona, CA 91767
Fees: Registration $25.00, Lunch $15.00
Registration Due: April 20th, 2023
- 10 Years Old and Underage Division
- 11 – 12 Years Old Division
- 13 – 15 Years Old Division
- 16 – 18 Years Old Division
- 18 Years Old and Under Girls Division
- Adult Kyu Division
- Women’s Division
- Senior Division (Over 50 Years Old)
- Super Senior Division (Over 62 Years Old)
- 1 – 3 Dan Division
- 4 Dan and Up Division
- Women’s Team Best 3 Division
- Team Best 5 Division
The age of the 2023 WKF Spring Kendo Championship shall determine as of May 6th, 2023
- Check Payable To: Butokuden
- Zelle: firstname.lastname@example.org
RSVP BY 3/23/2023
Date: Sunday, April 30th, 2023
Sign in: 8:00-8:30am
Location: El Rancho High School (Salcido Auxiliary Gym) (at Loch Alene ave. and Homebrook st.)
10 yrs & Under Kyu
11 ~ 13 yrs Kyu
14 ~ 15 yrs Kyu
Women Kyu (14 yrs & Over)
Adult 0-4 Kyu (16 yrs & Over)
Adult 3-1 Kyu (16 yrs & Over)
15 yrs & under: $15.00
16 yrs & over: $20.00
Location: Butokuden Kendo Dojo (1581 Browning, Irvine, CA 92606)
Date of Exam : March 26, 2023 (Sunday)
Roll call: Kyu 8:30AM, Dan 10:30AM
RSVP MARCH 12, 2023 (NO EXCEPTIONS!)
You must bring the written test at the time of registration. Please find the questions at this link:
2023 SCKO Promotion Exam – Written Portion.
Exam Fees must be paid by check (payable to Butokuden Dojo) or cash at the time of registration. if you pass, you pay for Certificate Fess after the exam, on the day of the exam.