Dear Butokuden Kendo Members:
I am writing to share some of the updates on our Back-to-Dojo plans.
As I have been mentioning during zoom practices, we are planning to “Soft re-open” our Dojo this week. The number of COVID-19 cases has been steady low in OC, and if these numbers continue to improve, I think we can resume practices.
In order to start safely, all participants will have to follow the COVID rules. Senseis will be enforcing these rules during classes. These measures are for the safety of everyone that is participating at practices in the Dojo. Please note that if there is an outbreak at our Dojo, not only we will be forced to close, but it will take a lot of effort for us to re-open again. We want to keep Butokuden a COVID FREE environment. We will strictly follow the guidelines of CDC and local health authorities.
Our current plan is to re-open in phases. The dates are not set for the Phases 2 and 3, but we will decide after our successful Phase 1.
Phase 1 (Starting May 4, 2021) Fully vaccinated, 16 years old and up:
Everyone coming into the premises will need to show that the vaccination was conducted 2 weeks prior to coming to the Dojo. We have updated our waiver forms. We will need a signed waiver (2 pages) and a copy of the COVID-19 vaccination card. This is needed for each participant, including the senseis.
The easiest way is to fill out the form and upload from our website. https://www.butokuden.com/re-opening/dojo-re-open-phase-1/
This needs to be done before participating on any of our in-Dojo activities, regardless if you are new or existing members (Senseis included)
Note: People are considered fully vaccinated for COVID-19 at ≥2 weeks after they have received the second dose in a 2-dose series (Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna), or ≥2 weeks after they have received a single dose vaccine (Johnson and Johnson [J&J]/Janssen) ) [from COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH]
Phase 2 (July 1, 2021) Children:
We will re-start Junior practices starting July 1.
Please register and make sure you read the waiver and have it submitted using the link below.
Butokuden Existing Members:
Please have the waiver signed and submitted before coming to the Dojo.
Phase 3 (Date TBD) Everyone:
Back to normal. Hopefully by this time, most of the adults will be vaccinated, and the local restrictions will be back to normal.
We want to keep Butokuden a COVID-19 FREE environment. We will strictly follow the guidelines of CDC and local health authorities. The following are guidelines from the local health authorities, adapted to our Dojo.
Before coming to the Dojo:
- For Phase 1 of our re-opening, everyone including senseis must be fully vaccinated prior to coming into the Dojo. People are considered fully vaccinated for COVID-19 at ≥2 weeks after they have received the second dose in a 2-dose series (Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna), or ≥2 weeks after they have received a single dose vaccine (Johnson and Johnson [J&J]/Janssen) ) [from COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH]
- Everyone must sign the new waiver form, and submit a copy of the COVID-19 Vaccine Card.
- Do not come to the Dojo if…
- You feel sick (Cough, fever, sneezing, chills, etc.)
- If you tested positive for COVID-19. Please inform our office right away, go see a doctor and do not come to the Dojo. Contact info: firstname.lastname@example.org or 949.756.8880
- If you were in close proximity to someone with COVID-19
- If you traveled outside of the USA or California within the past 2 weeks
- If your family member tested positive to COVID-19 within the past 2 weeks
At the Dojo:
- Hand sanitize before entering the facility. Hand sanitizers will be placed at the entrance of the Dojo.
- There will be a sign-in sheet at the entrance. Every practice, please sign in by writing the required information.
- Open all doors before starting the class.
- Social distancing at all times (at least 6 ft apart).
- Face coverings are mandatory at all time, even during training.
- No sharing of training equipment (Shinais, protectors, bokkens, Bogu, mitts, yoga mats, etc). Bring your own.
- Bring your own water bottle. No drinking fountain use.
- No eating in the Dojo.
- If you want to socialize, please go outside in the open air area, keeping social distance.
- One person at a time in the restrooms.
- One person at a time in the changing rooms. If possible, come to the dojo in your training uniforms, and go home in your training uniforms.
- No use of kitchen.
I understand everyone is eager to start training again. I am as much as you are, if not more. I know these measures are a burden, but the safety of our members is my #1 priority. In order to start safely and continue practicing, we need to get used to taking these precautions until this pandemic is over.
First class will be May 4. Make sure to submit the required documents prior to coming to the class.
Looking forward to seeing you at the Dojo.