BUTOKUDEN Martial Arts Dojo offers classes in Kendo, Karate, Aikido, Naginata, Jodo, Sogetsuryu Ikebana, Bushido Culture and Yoga
Date: Sunday, April 30th, 2023
Sign in: 8:00-8:30am
Location: El Rancho High School (Salcido Auxiliary Gym) (at Loch Alene ave. and Homebrook st.)
10 yrs & Under Kyu
11 ~ 13 yrs Kyu
14 ~ 15 yrs Kyu
Women Kyu (14 yrs & Over)
Adult 0-4 Kyu (16 yrs & Over)
Adult 3-1 Kyu (16 yrs & Over)
15 yrs & under: $15.00
16 yrs & over: $20.00
Location: Butokuden Kendo Dojo (1581 Browning, Irvine, CA 92606)
Date of Exam : March 26, 2023 (Sunday)
Roll call: Kyu 8:30AM, Dan 10:30AM
You must bring the written test at the time of registration. Please find the questions at this link:
2023 SCKO Promotion Exam – Written Portion.
Exam Fees must be paid by check (payable to Butokuden Dojo) or cash at the time of registration. if you pass, you pay for Certificate Fess after the exam, on the day of the exam.
Sign in: 8:00AM – 8:30AM
Yudansha & Adult (Age 18 & Over): $20.00
Youth (Age 17 & Under): $15.00
RSVP By Tuesday, December 27, 2022
Location: BUTOKUDEN Dojo, 1581 Browning, Irvine, CA 92606 USA
Dates/Schedule (See “2022 Butokuden Gasshuku Schedule” for details):
Arrival Date: From Saturday, March 18, 2023
Gasshuku: Start on Monday, March 20, 2023
Official Gasshuku days: Monday March 20 to Saturday, March 25, 2023 (March 25 is AM only)
Taro Ariga (Kyoshi 7 Dan)
Kunishige Katizawa (4 Dan) University of Kochi Kendo Club Captain
Butokuden Dojo Senseis
Language: Portuguese, Spanish, English, and Japanese
Participation Fee: Free
Application deadline: March 1, 2023
1) Member of an accredited Kendo Organization in your country.
2) Authorization from your Country’s Kendo Organization leader.
3) Participants must participate for the entire Gasshuku (Monday March 20 to Saturday March 25). If for some reason you cannot attend the entire Gasshuku, please let me know, and we may be able to make some exceptions.
4) The Gasshuku is focused to Kendo leaders or future leaders in your country.
5) The training is very rigorous. Participants must be in good health condition to participate.
6) Participants must have medical insurance valid in the USA. Especially during our current Covid-19 situation, you must have health insurance that is valid in the USA.
7) Due to logistics, a maximum of 3 people from each country (please inquire if more people want to participate. We do make exceptions!).
8) The participating Kenshis must be 2 Dan or above form accredited FIK organization
Please use the link below for registration.
Tomoharu Ito sensei is Taro sensei’s Sensei from Tokyo Japan. He was the head of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Arresting Technique Department (Taihojutsu), and holds 8 Dan in both Kendo and Iaido. He is retired from the Police force but he still teaches at various Dojos in Japan, including the IBM Japan Kendo Club, which was founded by Taro Sensei in 1993.
Taro sensei met Ito sensei at Tokyo Metropolitan Police in 1988, when he went to the Police for the first time to prepare himself for the 1988 World Kendo Championships. Photo taken back in 1988.
Ito sensei will be visiting our Dojo in October and is planning to teach our classes on the following days.
We will have a special practice celebrating our New Butokuden Dojo’s 10 year anniversary. (For people that does not know, our Dojo started in 2004 at our old location, but we started practicing at our current location in 2012).
After the practice will have a potluck lunch. Please sign up to bring a dish (use the form on the bottom of the page).
Sunday 10/16 @ Butokuden Dojo
Picture below is from 2012 opening ceremony of our New Dojo.
We hope everyone can attend. Please use the link below to sign up.