2023 BUTOKUDEN International Kendo Gasshuku
Location: BUTOKUDEN Dojo, 1581 Browning, Irvine, CA 92606 USA
Dates/Schedule (See “2022 Butokuden Gasshuku Schedule” for details):
Arrival Date: From Saturday, March 18, 2023
Gasshuku: Start on Monday, March 20, 2023
Official Gasshuku days: Monday March 20 to Saturday, March 25, 2023 (March 25 is AM only)
Taro Ariga (Kyoshi 7 Dan)
Kunishige Katizawa (4 Dan) University of Kochi Kendo Club Captain
Butokuden Dojo Senseis
Language: Portuguese, Spanish, English, and Japanese
Participation Fee: Free
Application deadline: March 1, 2023
1) Member of an accredited Kendo Organization in your country.
2) Authorization from your Country’s Kendo Organization leader.
3) Participants must participate for the entire Gasshuku (Monday March 20 to Saturday March 25). If for some reason you cannot attend the entire Gasshuku, please let me know, and we may be able to make some exceptions.
4) The Gasshuku is focused to Kendo leaders or future leaders in your country.
5) The training is very rigorous. Participants must be in good health condition to participate.
6) Participants must have medical insurance valid in the USA. Especially during our current Covid-19 situation, you must have health insurance that is valid in the USA.
7) Due to logistics, a maximum of 3 people from each country (please inquire if more people want to participate. We do make exceptions!).
8) The participating Kenshis must be 2 Dan or above form accredited FIK organization
Please use the link below for registration.
Tomoharu Ito sensei is Taro sensei’s Sensei from Tokyo Japan. He was the head of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Arresting Technique Department (Taihojutsu), and holds 8 Dan in both Kendo and Iaido. He is retired from the Police force but he still teaches at various Dojos in Japan, including the IBM Japan Kendo Club, which was founded by Taro Sensei in 1993.
Taro sensei met Ito sensei at Tokyo Metropolitan Police in 1988, when he went to the Police for the first time to prepare himself for the 1988 World Kendo Championships. Photo taken back in 1988.
Ito sensei will be visiting our Dojo in October and is planning to teach our classes on the following days.
- Tuesday 10/11
- Wednesday 10/12
- Thursday 10/13
We will have a special practice celebrating our New Butokuden Dojo’s 10 year anniversary. (For people that does not know, our Dojo started in 2004 at our old location, but we started practicing at our current location in 2012).
After the practice will have a potluck lunch. Please sign up to bring a dish (use the form on the bottom of the page).
Sunday 10/16 @ Butokuden Dojo
- Practice: 9AM – 12PM
- Potluck party: 1:00PM – 3PM
Picture below is from 2012 opening ceremony of our New Dojo.
We hope everyone can attend. Please use the link below to sign up.
Date: Sunday, October 2nd, 2022
Location: West High School: 20401 Victor St, Torrance, CA 90503
Roll Call: Registration/Sign-in will take place from 8:00am to 8:30 am
Eligibility: Must be a Valid AUSKF Member or fill tournament waiver
INDIVIDUAL TOURNAMENT with the following divisions:
a. 9 & Under Boys & Girls
b. 10-11 Boys & Girls
c. 12-13 Boys & Girls
d. 14-15 Boys
e. 16-18 Boys (Any Kyu & Dan)
f. 14-18 Girls (Any Kyu & Dan)
g. Men’s 1-2 Dan [Eto Cup]
h. Men’s 3-4 Dan [Nakabara Cup]
i. Men’s 5 Dan and Up [Hori Cup]
j. Women’s Dan [Akune Cup]
k. Adult Kyu (19 & Over, Men & Women) [Lorimer Cup]
l. 50 Years and Over Dan (Men & Women) [Takenaka Cup]
SPECIAL DIVISION: 5 Player Dojo Team
Individual Entry (18 years and under) $15.00 per person
Individual Entry (19 years and up) $20.00 per person
Team Entry $20.00 per dojo (*Entry in the team division is not a requirement)
Bento (Lunch box): $12.00 per person (*Bento will be provided for all Shinpan)
Make sure you fill out the waiver below and bring it with you!
2022 SCKO Individual Kendo Championships Release of Liability Waiver
Sunday: September 4, 2022
Location: Fresno City College Main Gym (1101 E. University Avenue, Fresno, California 93741)
Registration: Sunday, September 4, 2022 (8:00 am – 8:30 am)
Fee: $25, Bento: $15
Godogeiko: Fresno City College: Main gym on College Avenue, Fresno, CA 4:30pm – 5:30pm
Welcome Dinner: $25 (September 3 @ Mitsui Japanese Buffet Restaurant at 117 W. Shaw Avenue, Clovis, CA. 93612 @ 7PM)
1) 10 & Under
2) 11 – 13 years
3) 14 – 17 years
4) Adult Kyu
6) 1 – 3 Dan
7) 4 Dan & Above
9) Super Seniors
10) Team (will be one 14 players team as SCKO)
We have decided on the location and dates for this year’s Butokuden Winery Gasshuku.
This is one of our big annual events and it is fun for everyone. Kids, adults, parents, etc.
This year Jason Carter Sensei is hosting at his new location in Santa Barbara!
City of Santa Barbara Carrillo Street Gym (102 East Carrillo St, Santa Barbara, CA)
- Dojo opens at Noon
- Practice: 12:30 – 4:30 PM
- BBQ: 5PM ~ @ Jaffurs Wine Cellar in Santa Barbara
- Practice: 10 – 11:30AM
- End of Gasshuku after practice
- Dojo Rental fee: To be split within kendo players. Adults $20 – $30 depending on the number of participants, 18 & under Free.
- BBQ & Wine: Adult: $40, 18 & under: $10
More details to follow. Save the date!
Photos from 2021 Winery Gasshuku: