Tomoharu Ito sensei is Taro sensei’s Sensei from Tokyo Japan. He was the head of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Arresting Technique Department (Taihojutsu), and holds 8 Dan in both Kendo and Iaido. He is retired from the Police force but he still teaches at various Dojos in Japan, including the IBM Japan Kendo Club, which was founded by Taro Sensei in 1993.
Taro sensei met Ito sensei at Tokyo Metropolitan Police in 1988, when he went to the Police for the first time to prepare himself for the 1988 World Kendo Championships. Photo taken back in 1988.
Ito sensei will be visiting our Dojo in October and is planning to teach our classes on the following days.
- Tuesday 10/11
- Wednesday 10/12
- Thursday 10/13
We will have a special practice celebrating our New Butokuden Dojo’s 10 year anniversary. (For people that does not know, our Dojo started in 2004 at our old location, but we started practicing at our current location in 2012).
After the practice will have a potluck lunch. Please sign up to bring a dish (use the form on the bottom of the page).
Sunday 10/16 @ Butokuden Dojo
- Practice: 9AM – 12PM
- Potluck party: 1:00PM – 3PM
Picture below is from 2012 opening ceremony of our New Dojo.
We hope everyone can attend. Please use the link below to sign up.
Date: Sunday, October 2nd, 2022
Location: West High School: 20401 Victor St, Torrance, CA 90503
Roll Call: Registration/Sign-in will take place from 8:00am to 8:30 am
Eligibility: Must be a Valid AUSKF Member or fill tournament waiver
INDIVIDUAL TOURNAMENT with the following divisions:
a. 9 & Under Boys & Girls
b. 10-11 Boys & Girls
c. 12-13 Boys & Girls
d. 14-15 Boys
e. 16-18 Boys (Any Kyu & Dan)
f. 14-18 Girls (Any Kyu & Dan)
g. Men’s 1-2 Dan [Eto Cup]
h. Men’s 3-4 Dan [Nakabara Cup]
i. Men’s 5 Dan and Up [Hori Cup]
j. Women’s Dan [Akune Cup]
k. Adult Kyu (19 & Over, Men & Women) [Lorimer Cup]
l. 50 Years and Over Dan (Men & Women) [Takenaka Cup]
SPECIAL DIVISION: 5 Player Dojo Team
Individual Entry (18 years and under) $15.00 per person
Individual Entry (19 years and up) $20.00 per person
Team Entry $20.00 per dojo (*Entry in the team division is not a requirement)
Bento (Lunch box): $12.00 per person (*Bento will be provided for all Shinpan)
Make sure you fill out the waiver below and bring it with you!
Sunday: September 4, 2022
We have decided on the location and dates for this year’s Butokuden Winery Gasshuku.
This is one of our big annual events and it is fun for everyone. Kids, adults, parents, etc.
This year Jason Carter Sensei is hosting at his new location in Santa Barbara!
City of Santa Barbara Carrillo Street Gym (102 East Carrillo St, Santa Barbara, CA)
- Dojo opens at Noon
- Practice: 12:30 – 4:30 PM
- BBQ: 5PM ~ @ Jaffurs Wine Cellar in Santa Barbara
- https://www.jaffurswine.com/ 819 E. Montecito St., Santa Barbara, CA 93103
- Practice: 10 – 11:30AM
- End of Gasshuku after practice
- Dojo Rental fee: To be split within kendo players. Adults $20 – $30 depending on the number of participants, 18 & under Free.
- BBQ & Wine: Adult: $40, 18 & under: $10
More details to follow. Save the date!
Photos from 2021 Winery Gasshuku:
RSVP June 30
Date: Sunday, August 21st, 2022
Location: Cypress College
Address: 9200 Valley View St. Cypress, CA 90630
Fees: $30 (No Bento will be provided. Bento only for Shinpan)
4 Dan and up
Women (any rank, 15 and older)
Youth 3 person Team (4th Kyu to 1 Kyu, 17 years and under) (2 teams/Dojo)
2022 ENGO Scholarship Junior Kendo Championship Information
Location: Crescenta Valley High School La Crescenta‐Montrose, California 91214
Event Name: 2022 ENGO Scholarship Junior Kendo Championship
Location: Crescenta Valley High School
Address: 2900 Community Ave, La Crescenta, CA 91214
Date: June 18, 2022 (Saturday)
Check-in Hour: 8:00 AM (Gym Open 7:00 AM)
- 9‐years old and younger
- 10‐11 years old
- 12‐13 years old
- 14‐15 years old
- 16‐18 years old
- 13‐under girls
- 14‐18 girls
- Non Bogu Division
- Team Best 5 Divisions (Up to Two Teams Per Dojo)
Team Best 5 Composition
- Senpo: 13 years old and under
- Jiho: 15 years old and under
- Chuken: 15 years old and under
- Fukusho: 18‐years old and under
- Taisho: 18‐years old and under
The age for the 2022 ENGO Scholarship Junior Kendo Championship shall be determined as of June 18th, 2022.
Each individual is only eligible to participate in a single individual division ‐ Girls are allowed to compete in one of either the Girls Individual Division or Boys Individual Division
Time limit: 3 minutes with unlimited additional time thereafter.
Non Bogu Division participants will perform:
Kirikaeshi, Men, Kote, Do, Kote‐men, and Kote‐do.
All skills will be performed two times, with the exception of
Up to two teams from each Dojo (Dojang) can participate in the
Team Best 5 Division:
- Team matches in the Team Best 5 Division will consist of 5
members selected from each age group as outlined above
- Time Limit: 3 minutes
- Tie matches will be determined by one point match.
Neck attack is valid only for 16‐18 years old age group in the Individual and Team (Captain) Championships. Jodan will only be allowed in the 16‐18 year old age group for Boys Individual and Boys Team Match.
1st Round of Match format will be round robin and 2nd Round format will be tournament brackets. The format of Individual and Team matches are subject to change depending on the number of participants.
All other rules will comply with standard rules and regulations set forth by the Federation of International Kendo (FIK)
RSVP BY TUESDAY MAY 5th, 2022! NO EXCEPTIONS FOR LATE REGISTRATIONS! Please answer in the correct format in the parenthesis.
Date: Sunday, May 22nd, 2022
Location: West High School: 20401 Victor St, Torrance, CA 90503
Roll Call: Registration/Sign-in will take place from 8:00am to 8:30 am.
Eligibility: Must be a Valid AUSKF Member
Event: TEAM TOURNAMENT (three players per team) with the following divisions:
- 11 years and under Kids Division
- Adult Kyu Division (19 years old and up)
- 12-14 years-old Jr.Youth Division
- Women’s Division
- 15-18 years-old Sr. Youth Division
- Yudansha Division
- 5 Player Federation Division (NEW)*
18 years and under $15.00 per person
19 years and up $20.00 per person
Bento (Lunch box) $12.00 per person (*Bento will be provided for all Shinpan)
• Date and Time: Saturday, April 30th, 2022
• Gym Open at 7:00AM, Registration 8:00AM ~ 8:30AM)
• Place: Los Angeles High School, Gymnasium
• Address: 4650 W Olympic Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90019
• Fees: Registration $25.00, Lunch $15.00
• Q&A: email@example.com
• Check Payable To: BUTOKUDEN
• 10 Years Old and Underage Division
• 11 – 12 Years Old Division
• 13 – 15 Years Old Division
• 16 – 18 Years Old Division
• 18 Years Old and Under Girls Division
• Adult Kyu Division
• Women’s Division
• Senior Division (Over 50 Years Old)
• Super Senior Division (Over 62 Years Old)
• 1 – 3 Dan Division
• 4 Dan and Up Division
• Women’s Team Best 3 Division
• Team Best 5 Division
The age of the 2022 WKF Spring Kendo Championship shall determine as of April 30th, 2022
• Each individual in only eligible to participate in a single individual division.
• Youth Divisions and Adult Kyu (18 years Old and Underage Divisions, 19 Years and Older Kyu Division)
– Not allowed Tsuki, Nito, and Jodan.
– 3 Minutes and Hante (Round Robin)
– 3 Minutes plus 2 Minutes Encho, and Hante (Tournament)
– 3 Minutes and Encho (Semi-Final and Final round)
• Women’s, Senior, Super Senior, 1-3 Dan, and 4 Dan & Up Divisions:
– 4 Minutes and Encho
• Team Division
– 3 Minutes