December 13, 2014
Dear Senseis and Kendo Friends:
As many of you know, I have been coaching the Portuguese national team for the past 11 years. After building our Butokuden Dojo in 2012, I started conducting annual Kendo Gasshukus here at our Dojo in Irvine, California. This Gasshuku was designed as part of the training for the Portuguese Kendo leaders (mainly national team members and the Dojo Senseis). I have set the objective of this Gasshuku to “Teach the correct Kendo and introduce the leaders with the correct method of teaching.”
In 2013, I had the opportunity to visit Medellin for the 3rd CLAK tournament, and I spoke with many of you. By doing Shinpan and watching the tournament, I found that the level of the Latin American Kendo had risen in the past few years. I was also very touched by the dedication and the love you had for Kendo. Many people asked me if they could come and practice at our Dojo, and my answer was “Of course, yes!” So this year (March 2014), we invited the Latin American Kenshis to our Gasshuku, and it was a big success. We had Kenshis from Mexico, Colombia, Aruba and Ecuador.
This year again, I would like to open our doors to Kenshis in Latin America. This will be beneficial to both the Latin American countries Kenshis, and the Portuguese Kenshis, by giving each other a chance to practice with various Kenshis from different countries, and making new Kendo friends. I hope many people can attend.
Location: BUTOKUDEN Dojo, 1581 Browning, Irvine, CA 92606 USA
Dates (See “2015 Butokuden Gasshuku Schedule” for details):
Arrive March 14 (Sat) 2015
Leave on 21 (Sat) 2015
Taro Ariga (Kyoshi 7 Dan)
Shin Terashita (4 Dan, Osaka Prefecture University Kendo Captain)
Nagisa Komorida (4 Dan, 2012 All Japan University Kendo Champion)
Language: Portuguese, Spanish, English, and Japanese
Participation Fee: Free
Application deadline: January 31, 2015
1) Member of an accredited Kendo Organization in your country
2) Authorization from your Kendo Organization
3) Participants must participate for the entire Gasshuku.
4) The Gasshuku is focused to Kendo leaders or future leaders in your country.
5) Due to the logistics, a maximum of 3 people from each country.
6) The participating Kenshis must be 2 Dan or above form accredited FIK organization
1) Participation Fee: Free
2) Breakfast and lunch to be provided by E-BOGU (We will go out for Breakfast on Friday 3/20 to be paid by each participant (Approximately $10).
3) We will go out for dinner every night. Dinner is to be paid by each participant (Approximately $15/meal).
4) Transportation to the Gasshuku is to be arranged by the participant. If arriving at SNA (Orange County Airport), pickup can be arranged. If arriving in LAX, please let us know (we will try to arrange a ride, but you may have to use shuttle bus).
5) Participants will have the choice of sleeping at the Dojo or staying at a hotel nearby:
a. Dojo: FREE, but bring a sleeping bag.
b. Hotel: there are hotels near the Dojo starting at approximately $35 to 50/night per person (double occupancy). About 10 minutes walking distance from the Dojo
6) All participants must have medical insurance valid in the USA.
7) There is a Walmart at walking distance.
8) Donations are welcome!
I lived in Brazil for many years, and I understand that travelling to the USA may be challenging especially for countries in Central and South America, both financially and acquiring travel documents. In order to have as many countries participating, I would like to make this Gasshuku as affordable as possible.
Please send us the application at firstname.lastname@example.org by January 31, 2015.
I am looking forward to having many countries participating.
Kendo Kyoshi 7 Dan
Butokuden Dojo Kancho
E-BOGU.COM, Inc. CEO
Useful information (Distance from Dojo):
o John Wayne (Orange County, Santa Ana) Airport (Airport code SNA): 5 min by car
o Los Angeles International (Airport Code LAX): 1 hour by car (shuttle bus approximately $30)
o Long Beach Airport (Airport Code LGB): 30 minutes by car
Accommodation near the Dojo:
o Motel 6: 1717 E Dyer Rd, Santa Ana, CA 92705 (0.8 Miles from Dojo) ($70 + Tax for 2 people in a room)
o Candlewood Suites: 2600 South Red Hill Avenue, Santa Ana, CA ($102 + Tax for 2 people in a room) (0.4 Miles from Dojo)
Places to see:
o Disneyland (15 minutes by car)
o Knot’s Berry farm Park (20 minutes by car)
o Newport Beach (15 minutes by car)
o Universal Studios (1 hour by car)
o Hollywood, Santa Monica (1 hour by car)
o California Science Center – Space Shuttle Endeavour (1 hour by car)
o Sea World (1.5 hours by car)
o San Diego Zoo (1.5 hours by car)