RSVP: April 22, 2016
20th Annual Memorial Day Kendo Team Tournament
- Date: Sunday, May 29th, 2016
- Location: Marina High School, 15871 Springdale Street, Huntington Beach, CA 92649
- Roll Call: On the tournament date, registration will take place from 8:00a to 8:30 am.
- Eligibility: Must be a Valid AUSKF Member
- Event: TEAM TOURNAMENT (three players per team) with the following divisions:
- 12 years and under Division
- Adult Kyu Division (19 years old and up) Division
- 13-15 years-old Division
- 40 years and Over / 4 Dan and below
- 16-18 years-old Division
- Yudansha Division
- 6. Fees: (non-refundable)
18 years and under $15.00 per person
19 years and up $20.00 per person
Bento (Lunch box): $8.00 per person
Note: Bento will be provided for Shinpan at no charge.
1. Each team consists of three members. Team members may consist of individuals from the same or different dojos or regions. In the case where members are required, please notify the competition committee ASAP for best possible arrangments.
2. Teams are free to create a team name. This name will remain unchanged once submitted on the entry form. Inappropriate or discriminatory names or slogans are prohibited and will be changed immediately.
3. 2 CONTACT PERSONS over the age of 18 should be assigned to each dojo. Please provide a contact number or e-mail on the application form.
4. Regulations of the matches will follow “The Regulation of Kendo Shiai and Shinpan” set forth by the Federation of International Kendo (FIK).
5. Tsuki waza is authorized for YUDANSHA DIVISION only.
6. Division Ranks as of May 1, 2016
7. Age as of May 29th, 2016
8. Each person can only participate in one division and is responsible for bringing their own MEJIRUSHI (Red/White indicator)
9. In order to run the tournament efficiently, please have an adult accompany youth division teams at all times.
10. It will be an automatic loss by default if one is not present at the time of the match. There will be no exceptions for those who have already been declared a loss by default.
11. Team members cannot be modified after the tournament deadline date. However, if unforeseen situations such as injuries occur, the tournament committee will allow dialogue for possible team changes. Please promptly notify the SCKO Competition Committee of any team changes. The SCKO Competition Committee has the right to decline any team changes after the tournament deadline date.
SHIAI RULES AND REGULATIONS
1. Tournament rounds will be held in round robin (as necessary), followed by single elimination.
2. The individual match is conducted according to SANBON-SHOBU, and the chief judge will announce its duration at the opening ceremony.
3. If no winner is determined within the duration, a draw (HIKI-WAKE) will be declared.
4. Determination of the winning team will be made in the following order of precedence:
A) Highest number of individual winners
B) If the number of individual winners is the same, the highest number of points scored.
C) Should A and B turn out to be even, a one-point match playoff (daihyo-sen, ippon shobu) between chosen representatives of each team will determine the winning team.
RSVP April 5
This is to inform you of the Semi Annual SCKO Rank Promotion Examination.
- Date: April 17, 2016 (Sunday)
- Time: Roll Call – Kyu Group: 9:00AM, Yudansha Group: 12:30PM
- Place: Butokuden Dojo, 1581 Browning, Irvine, CA 92606
- Examination Fee: Please see attached sheet
- Applicants Must Bring: All ranks must bring own Kendo-gu, neat Keiko-gi and Hakama, and Shinai.
3 Kyu and Up, bring Bokuto for taking “Bokuto Keiko hou” (Training Method for fundamental kendo techniques with Bokuto) and Nihon Kendo Kata exams.
1 Kyu and Up, bring completed Written Test Questionnaire.
- Examination Items: 6 Kyu: Men-uchi (twice), Kirikaeshi, (chakuso, reiho, hassei)
5 Kyu: Kirikaeshi, Men-uchi (twice), kote-men (twice), doh-uchi (twice), (chakuso, reiho, hassei)
4 Kyu: Kirikaeshi, gokaku-keiko, (chakuso, kamae, reiho, hassei)
3 Kyu: Gokaku-keiko, (chakuso, kamae, reiho, hassei), “Bokuto Keiko hou” 1-4
2 Kyu: Gokaku-keiko, (chakuso, kamae, reiho, hassei, datotsu-no-sae), “Bokuto Keiko hou” 1-6
1 Kyu: Gokaku-keiko, (chakuso, kamae, reiho, hassei, datotsu-no-sae, ki-ken-tai-ichi), Nihon Kendo Kata 1-3 and “Bokuto Keiko hou” 1-9, and written examination
1 Dan: Gokaku-keiko (one who is skilled and has learned the basics of kendo), Nihon Kendo Kata 1-5, and written examination
2 Dan: Gokaku-keiko (one who is finely skilled and has acquired the basics of kendo), Nihon Kendo Kata 1-7, and written examination
3 Dan: Gokaku-keiko (one who is superbly skilled and has expertise in the basics of kendo), Nihon Kendo Kata 1-10, and written examination
4 Dan: Gokaku-keiko (one who is exceptionally skilled and has mastered the basics and applied use of kendo), Nihon Kendo Kata 1-10, and written examination
- Volunteers Required: Please see attached volunteer request letter
(*1) All 1 Kyu and 1-4 Dan taking the exam must complete the attached written examination prior to the exam date. They must submit this on the day of the exam. Written examination is the last state of your promotion exam. (*2) Please distribute copies of attached Written Test Questionnaire to your dojo members for this purpose.
(*3) Examinees who successfully pass all stages of the rank exam MUST pay Certificate (Menjo) fee at the day of the exam, after the results are announced. Without paying the certificate fee on the day of the exam, the passed rank will be annulled.
(*4) AUSKF issues only English certificates.
(*5) All examinees must be a member of AUSKF and pay their annual fee before submitting for examination.
Please submit Promotion Exam Roster form with one check for the total examination fee per Dojo
March 5-6, 2016 in Huntington Beach, CA!
1st AUSKF Women’s Kendo Seminar!
The AUSKF Education Committee is excited to announce the first ever AUSKF Women’s Kendo Seminar, to be held on March 5-6 in Huntington Beach, CA. We are hopeful that this event will bring together the girls and women throughout the United States to learn kendo from two of the top female kenshi in Japan. Special guest instructors for this event will be:
Yoko Sakuma (5-Dan) was Captain of Team Japan for the 16th WKC, 15th WKC Individual Champion, and a member of the gold-winning Team Japan for the 14th, 15th, 16th WKC(2009-2015).
Yukiko Takami (5-Dan) was the 14th WKC Individual Champion, 15th WKC Team Champion, and 16th WKC Individual 3rd Place.
High-ranking women sensei from AUSKF are also scheduled to attend and provide instruction. Participants of all ages are welcome, but should be wearing bogu and be registered members of AUSKF.
March 5th (SAT) : 9am – 5pm
March 6th (SUN) : 9am – 3pm
Marina High School
15871 Springdale ST.
Huntington Beach, CA 92649
Special Guest Instructors
Yoko Sakuma 5 Dan
Yukiko Takami 5 Dan
Two-Day Seminar Fee
$50 PER PERSON
(LUNCH INCLUDED BOTH DAYS)
Please make a check payable to “Butokuden Dojo” by 2/21.
Special Welcome Dinner on Saturday
Saturday Night, March 5th
Location & Cost TBD!
6th AUSKF Junior Open National Championships Information
> Saturday, June 25, 2016 (Tournament)
> Sunday, June 26, 2016 (Goodwill seminar)
Eastern Michigan University
18100 Meyers Rd. Detroit, MI. 48235 (Registration time for Tournament TBA)
> 9-years old and younger
> 10-11 years old
> 12-13 years old
> 14-15 years old
> 16-18 years old
> 13-under girls
> 14-18 girls
Boy’s Team Composition
Senpo 13-years old and under
Jiho/Chuken 15-years old and under
Fukusho/Taisho 18-years old and under
Girls Team Composition
Senpo/Chuken/Taisho 18-years old and under
Youth Team Composition (Both Boys and Girls)
Senpo/Chuken/Taisho 11 years and younger
Age Determination: January 1 will be the date for all birthdays. (whatever age you are as of January 1 will be your age for the tournament.)
Shinpan: 4-dan and up on a volunteer basis
> Tournament: $30 per participant
> Youth Seminar: $20 per participant
AUSKF Competition Committee
RSVP January 7, 2016
Date: Sunday, January 24, 2016
Sign in: 8:00-8:30am
Location: Wilson Park, Torrance, CA
Divisions: (Participant can only enter ONE division)
0-6 Kyu (age 12 and under)
5-4 Kyu (age 15 and under )
3-1 Kyu (Age 17 and under)
Girl’s Kyu (17 and under)
4 Dan & above
Senior Dan (50 and above)
Inaugural Murakami Cup Perpetual Trophy
Winner from each of four youth divisions (17 and under) will compete for the Murakami Cup
Inaugural Yamaguchi Cup Perpetual Trophy
Winner from each of four Yudansha divisions will compete for the Yamaguchi Cup
All Participants: $25.00
Pictures from 2014 Christmas Party talent show:
54th Steveston Kendo Taikai
This is one of the biggest tournament in North America. I hope many people can participate.
Date: Saturday, Feb 20th, 2016
Time: Parade of Participants – 9:00 AM
Place: McMath High School, 4251 Garry St., Richmond
Entry Deadline: Sunday, Jan 17th, 2016