*Butokuden Member Only
1. Date: November 20, 2016 (Sunday)
2. Time: Roll Call – Kyu Group: 9:00AM, Yudansha Group: 12:30PM
3. Place: Butokuden Dojo, 1581 Browning, Irvine, CA 92606
4. Application Deadline: Must be received no later than November 4, 2016. No Exceptions.
5. Examination Fee: Please see attached sheet
6. Applicants Must Bring: All ranks must bring own Kendo-gu, neat Keiko-gi and Hakama, and Shinai. 3 Kyu and Up, bring Bokuto for taking “Bokuto Keiko hou” (Training Method for fundamental kendo techniques with Bokuto) and Nihon Kendo Kata exams. 1 Kyu and Up, bring completed Written Test Questionnaire.
6 Kyu: Men-uchi (twice), Kirikaeshi, (chakuso, reiho, hassei)
5 Kyu: Kirikaeshi, Men-uchi (twice), kote-men (twice), doh-uchi (twice), (chakuso, reiho, hassei)
4 Kyu: Kirikaeshi, gokaku-keiko, (chakuso, kamae, reiho, hassei)
3 Kyu: Gokaku-keiko, (chakuso, kamae, reiho, hassei), “Bokuto Keiko hou” 1-4
2 Kyu: Gokaku-keiko, (chakuso, kamae, reiho, hassei, datotsu-no-sae), “Bokuto Keiko hou” 1-6
1 Kyu: Gokaku-keiko, (chakuso, kamae, reiho, hassei, datotsu-no-sae, ki-ken-tai-ichi), Nihon Kendo Kata 1-3 and “Bokuto
Keiko hou” 1-9, and written examination
1 Dan: Gokaku-keiko (one who is skilled and has learned the basics of kendo), Nihon Kendo Kata 1-5, and written examination
2 Dan: Gokaku-keiko (one who is finely skilled and has acquired the basics of kendo), Nihon Kendo Kata 1-7, and written examination
3 Dan: Gokaku-keiko (one who is superbly skilled and has expertise in the basics of kendo), Nihon Kendo Kata 1-10, and written examination
4 Dan: Gokaku-keiko (one who is exceptionally skilled and has mastered the basics and applied use of kendo), Nihon Kendo Kata 1-10, and written examination
We have information about written examination and it is attached at Butokuden’s whiteboard.
1. Date: Sunday, October 16th, 2016
2. Location: Crescenta Valley High School, 2900 Community Ave, La Crescenta, CA 91214
3. Roll Call: On the tournament date, registration will take place from 8:00AM to 8:30AM.
4. Eligibility: Must be a Valid AUSKF Member
5. Event: Individual / Team Tournament
6. Fees: $20 (non-refundable)
7. Lunch: $10 including a bottle of water *All Shinpans and Volunteers, Lunch will be provided by WKF.
8. Registration Form and Fees Deadline: September 25th, 2016 (San)
Fee payment by check or cash before the deadline (Check payable to BUTOKUDEN)
1. 10 & Under Boys & Girls – All Ranks
2. 11-12 Years Old Boys & Girls – All Ranks
3. 13-15 Years Old Boys & Girls – All Ranks
4. 16-18 Years Old Boys & Girls – All Ranks
5. Men’s Kyu (Keup)- 19 & over Kyu(Keup)
6. Women – Any age & All Ranks
7. Seniors – 50 & Over, All Ranks
8. Men’s 1-3 Dan – Any Age
9. Men’s 4 Dan up – Any age
10. Team Best 5
Youth – 3 minutes / Unlimited Encho (Extension)
Adult – 3 minutes / Unlimited Encho(Extension)
Yudansha (Black Belt) – 4 minutes / Unlimited Encho(Extnesion)
Each participant can enter in only one division
Rank and Age as of October 16th, 2016
Date: 9/18 (Sunday)
Time: 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM (Godo keiko if time permits)
Location: West High
Instructor: Makino sensei 7 Dan, Ariga sensei 7 Dan and Mamiya sensei 7 Dan
Participants: Kendo rank of 1 Dan and above (Over 14years old)
Deadline: by September 3th
Please come prepared with:
– Shinpan Ki (Referee Flags)
– Mejiryushi (Red/White Ribbon tags)
– Referee Booklet (2006 ver.)
– Kendo Dogu and Shinai
Date: 9/10 (Saturday)
Time: 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM(Bring your Bokuto and own lunch and drinks)
Eligibility: Kenshi who will take 3,4,5,6 dan.
Deadline: by September 5th
Date:Sunday, October 2nd, 2016.
9 & Under Boys & Girls
10-12 Years Old Boys & Girls
13-15 Years Old Boys – Any Rank
13-18 Years Old Girls – Any Rank
16-18 Years Old Boys – Any Rank
Men’s Adult Kyu
Women’s Adult Kyu
Women’s Dan Under 35
Women’s Dan 35 & over
Men’s 1-2 Dan Under 40
Men’s 1-3 Dan 40 & Over
Men’s 3-4 Dan
Men’s 5 Dan and Above
Men’s Masters (Over 50, 5 Dan and Above)
8:00—8:30am Sign-In for Competitors.
8:45am Shinpan Meeting
Location Marina High School
15871 Springdale St
Huntington Beach, CA 92649
Entry Fee $20 per person
Bento Fee $10 each bento
Note: Lunch is provided free to shinpan and a limited number of volunteers.
Fee payment by check or cash before the deadline (Check payable to BUTOKUDEN)
By Thursday, September 14th at 11:59 pm.
Date: Sunday, September 4th, 2016
Location: Parlier High School North Gym
601 Third St,
Parlier, CA 93648
Registration: From 8:00 am to 8:30 am
● 10 yrs and under.
• 14 years old – 17 years old.
• Adult Kyu (18 years old and Older).
• Women’s (14 years old and older: Kyu & Dan)
• Yudansha (1Dan – 3Dan)
• Yudansha (4Dan & Above)
• Senior (50 years old & Older: 1Dan – 5Dan)
• Super Senior (50 years & older: 6 Dan and up)
• 12-Member Federation Team
Shinpan: 4-dan and above are eligible
Entry Fee: Early Bird Entry (received via e-mail 7/31/16)–$15.00 per participant (non-refundable)
FINAL ENTRY (received via e-mail after 7/31/16 and by 8/10/16) $20.00 (non-refundable)
Shiai Rules: Individual Divisions
• Individuals can only participate in one individual division
• Each kenshi must supply his/her own set of tasuki
• Time Limits: *Except: Semi-finals and Finals: unlimited encho.
o All divisions except Yudansha and Seniors: 3 minutes-1 minute encho and Hantei.
o Yudansha & Senior divisions: 4 minutes-1 minute encho and Hantei.
• Limit one team per federation
• Teams will consist of 12-members as outlined on attached entry form
• Time limit: 3 minutes / no encho
• In case of a tie between teams in wins and points, each team will select their best kendoist for daihyosen (ippon shobu).
*Yudansha Divisions (Regular Tournament)
1 Dan, 2 Dan, 3 Dan, 4 Dan & Up, Women’s Dan
Rules: 4 minutes, Unlimited Extension
0-4 Kyu Team (3 kenshi, 17 yeas of age and under)
3-1 Kyu Team (3 kenshi, 17 years of age and under)
Rules: Each Dojo can submit up to 2 teams in each division
3 minutes, no extension
3 Kenshi consisting of any combination of below mentioned:
-Adult kyu (18 years of age and older)
– Yudansha (up to 3 dan and 30 years of age and older)
Minimum of 2 Kenshi per team
Taisho can not tie. If there are any ties prior to the taisho match both participants will sit
No jodan, no nito, and no tsuki
Each dojo can submit up to 2 teams for both Kyu and Kachinuki Teams.
Tournament Fee: $30.00
◦ Officials, staff members, spectators, and volunteers have FREE admission.
* There will be fee for car park at CSULB parking lot
Volunteer: volunteers needed for court duty(3) and front desk help
Butokuden Kendo Members and Kendo Friends:
Now that the Junior Championships is over, it is summer and time to have fun!
Some pictures from 2015 Wine gasshuku.
Please register using the form at the bottom of this page, so we can have an approximate head count.
This year’s winery Gasshuku will be held as follows:
Date/Time (July 30 – 31):
1 – 4 PM: Kendo Practice
5 – ? : Wine and BBQ
8:30 – 9:30: Asageiko (Morning Practice)
Dismissal after practice
Kendo Practice Location:
Anderson Recreation Center,
125 West Walnut Avenue, Lompoc, CA 93436
Wine BBQ Location:
300 North 12 Street, Lompoc, 93436
This is the Winery. Jason thought of doing in the vineyard, which is lovely, but there are a lot of rattlesnakes at this time of the year, and since we will have kids playing around, we decided not to, to be on the safe side 🙂
In the past it was a SCKO event, so SCKO was subsidizing a portion of this event, but since most of the participants were from BUTOKUDEN, this year we will make it a BUTOKUDEN event. But of course, everyone is welcome to join.
Dojo Rental: It will depend on the number of participants, and we will split among the adult Kenshis.
Adult Kenshi: $10 – 20 (we will split the cost, so more people, it will be cheaper!)
18 and under: $0
Wine & BBQ:
18 and Under: $5
Looking forward to a big participation!
RSVP: April 22, 2016
20th Annual Memorial Day Kendo Team Tournament
- Date: Sunday, May 29th, 2016
- Location: Marina High School, 15871 Springdale Street, Huntington Beach, CA 92649
- Roll Call: On the tournament date, registration will take place from 8:00a to 8:30 am.
- Eligibility: Must be a Valid AUSKF Member
- Event: TEAM TOURNAMENT (three players per team) with the following divisions:
- 12 years and under Division
- Adult Kyu Division (19 years old and up) Division
- 13-15 years-old Division
- 40 years and Over / 4 Dan and below
- 16-18 years-old Division
- Yudansha Division
- 6. Fees: (non-refundable)
18 years and under $15.00 per person
19 years and up $20.00 per person
Bento (Lunch box): $8.00 per person
Note: Bento will be provided for Shinpan at no charge.
1. Each team consists of three members. Team members may consist of individuals from the same or different dojos or regions. In the case where members are required, please notify the competition committee ASAP for best possible arrangments.
2. Teams are free to create a team name. This name will remain unchanged once submitted on the entry form. Inappropriate or discriminatory names or slogans are prohibited and will be changed immediately.
3. 2 CONTACT PERSONS over the age of 18 should be assigned to each dojo. Please provide a contact number or e-mail on the application form.
4. Regulations of the matches will follow “The Regulation of Kendo Shiai and Shinpan” set forth by the Federation of International Kendo (FIK).
5. Tsuki waza is authorized for YUDANSHA DIVISION only.
6. Division Ranks as of May 1, 2016
7. Age as of May 29th, 2016
8. Each person can only participate in one division and is responsible for bringing their own MEJIRUSHI (Red/White indicator)
9. In order to run the tournament efficiently, please have an adult accompany youth division teams at all times.
10. It will be an automatic loss by default if one is not present at the time of the match. There will be no exceptions for those who have already been declared a loss by default.
11. Team members cannot be modified after the tournament deadline date. However, if unforeseen situations such as injuries occur, the tournament committee will allow dialogue for possible team changes. Please promptly notify the SCKO Competition Committee of any team changes. The SCKO Competition Committee has the right to decline any team changes after the tournament deadline date.
SHIAI RULES AND REGULATIONS
1. Tournament rounds will be held in round robin (as necessary), followed by single elimination.
2. The individual match is conducted according to SANBON-SHOBU, and the chief judge will announce its duration at the opening ceremony.
3. If no winner is determined within the duration, a draw (HIKI-WAKE) will be declared.
4. Determination of the winning team will be made in the following order of precedence:
A) Highest number of individual winners
B) If the number of individual winners is the same, the highest number of points scored.
C) Should A and B turn out to be even, a one-point match playoff (daihyo-sen, ippon shobu) between chosen representatives of each team will determine the winning team.