Butokuden Kendo Members!
This is the biggest event of our Dojo. I hope everyone can make it! A lot of games and prizes.
Part 1: Tournament (it may vary depending on the progress):
10:30 Roll call
11:00 Opening ceremony
11:30 Junior Tournament Starts
12:30 Junior Finals
13:30 Adult’s Tournament
14:30 Martial Arts Demonstration
15:00 Adult’s Finals
15:30 Closing Ceremony. Awards Ceremony
Part 2: Christmas Party
16:00 Party preparation
16:30 Christmas Party Starts
Potluck Dinner, Games, Santa Claus Visit, Talent Show, Present Exchange
20:00 Party Close
1) Dinner will be Potluck, so please bring your favorite dishes.
2) Present donation are welcome for Game and Talent show prizes.
3) For present exchange, please bring a gift of the following amount: Kids: up to $5, Adults: up to $10
*Bogu Division winners will compete in a Grand Champion Tournament Round! 1st Place Prize is a bogu set!*
Divisions (May vary depending on the number of participants in each division):
1. Junior Non-Bogu A (5 – 7 years old)
2. Junior Non-Bogu B (7 – 14 years old)
3. Junior A (0 Kyu – 3 Kyu: 9 years old and under)
4. Junior B (0 Kyu – 3 Kyu: 10 – 14 years old)
5. Junior C (2 Kyu – 1 Kyu: 14 years old and under)
6. Junior D (15 – 18 years old)
7. Junior Girls (10 – 18 years old)
8. Adult Non-Bogu (15 years old and older)
9. Adult Kyu (19 years old and older)
10. Men’s Dan (1 Dan – 3 Dan: 19 years old and older)
11. Women’s Dan (1 Dan and up: 19 years old and older)
12. Masters (45 years old and older)
13. Sensei (4 Dan and up)
* Players in the following can participate in multiple divisions
(Adult Kyu, Men’s Dan, Women’s Dan in Masters)
(Junior Girls in Junior Division)
*Division 1 – 9 have qualifying round before tournament.
*Time: Division 3 – 7 & 9: 2 min, Division 10 – 13: 3 min (may change)
RSVP BY NOVEMBER 14th, 2019 (THURS PRACTICE)
Entry Fee: $0 per Competitor. Happy Holidays!
Date: Sunday, December 8th, 2019
Place: Torrance High School, 2200 W. Carson Street, Torrance, CA 90501
Do not go to West High!!
Approximate Time Schedule:
8:00 am Setup
8:30 am Registration
9:00 am Opening Ceremony
9:15 am Tournament Starts
12:00 pm Lunch time
Kids fun event, Red and White and Godo Keiko
4:30 pm Closing Ceremony
5:00 pm cleaning up
Court Volunteers: Please provide volunteers from each dojo (at least 3-5 people per dojo).
Volunteers, please arrive at 8:00 am for setup and meeting.
Lunch: Lunch will NOT be provided for Sensei and Volunteers. Please bring your own special
Lunch or you may order bento.
Bento box $10.00
Non-Bogu Matches : Single Elimination
· 12 & Under Non-Bogu Division
· 13 & Over Non-Bogu Division
· 9 years old & under (Boys & Girls)
· 10-12 years old, 6-4 Kyu (Boys & Girls)
· 10-12 years old, 3-1 Kyu (Boys & Girls)
· 13-15 Years Old any rank (Boys & Girls)
· 16-18 Year Old any rank (Boys & Girls)
· 19 years old over , Women’s Kyu
· 19 – 39 years old, Women’s Dan
· 40 years old & above, Women’s Dan
· 19 years old over Men’s Kyu
· 19 years old Men’s 1-2 Dan
· Men’s 3-4 Dan (All Ages)
· 5 Dan up (All ages)
Sea Empress (Chinese Restaurant)
1636 W Redondo Beach Blvd
Gardena, CA 90247
*About 15 mins drive from Torrance High.
Fee: $30 per person (Tax and Tip included) *Beverages are not included.
*Kid’s rate: TBD
Individual Match : **Divisions subject to change depending on registration**
Red-White Special Team Match: If time allows.
RULES and REGULATIONS
Regulations of the matches will follow “The Regulation of Kendo Shiai and Shinpan” set forth by the Federation of International Kendo (FIK).
Tsuki Waza and Jodan are authorized for over 16 years old only AND MUST HAVE Dan Rank.
Each kenshi can only participate in one division and is responsible for bringing one’s own Me-Jirushi
Tournament brackets will be made right before the tournament. Depending on the number of participants, some divisions may be combined with others.
2019 WKF Year End Kendo Championships BUTOKUDEN Registration Form:
RSVP by Thursday October 10th, 2019
FEE: $20 (non-refundable)
LUNCH: $12.00 (ALL shinpans and volunteers will be provided FREE lunch)
WHEN: SATURDAY, OCTOBER 26TH
WHERE: BUENA PARK HIGH SCHOOL
–> 8833 ACADEMY DR,
BUENA PARK, CA 90621
ROLL CALL: 8AM~8:30AM
GYM OPENS: 7AM
- 10-years old and younger
- 11-12 years old
- 13-15 years old
- 16-18 years old
- 18 Years old Girls & Under
- Adult Kyu Man & Women ( 19 & Over )
- Women’s ( Any Age & All Ranks )
- Seniors – 50 & Over, All Ranks
- 1-3 Dan , Any Age
- 4 Dan Up & Any Age
- Team Best 3 Women Divisions ( Any Age )
Team Best 5 Divisions ( Any Age )
Youth – 3 minutes / Unlimited Encho (Extension)
Adult – 3 minutes / Unlimited Encho(Extension)
Yudansha (Black Belt) – 4 minutes / Unlimited Encho(Extnesion)
Each participant can enter in only one division
Rank and Age as of October 26th, 2019
Regulations of the matches will follow “The Regulation of Kendo Shiai and Shinpan” set
forth by the Federation of International Kendo (FIK). Tournament rules may be subject to
change by the WKF Tournament Committee.
SCKO Shinpan Seminar Registration Form (Butokuden Members ONLY)
RSVP ASAP (must be done by Saturday, September 7th, 2019)
Date: 9/22 (Sunday)
Time: 9:00 AM to 4:00PM (Godo keiko 4:00 – 4:45 if we have time.)
Instructor: Mamiya sensei, Ariga sensei and Okawa sensei *Other 7dan sensei, please support instructors. We will provide 7dan sensei’s lunch.
Participants: Kendo rank of 1 Dan and above (Over 14years old)
Please come prepared with:
– Shinpan Ki (Referee Flags)
– Mejiryushi (Red/White Ribbon tags)
– Referee Booklet (2006 ver.)
– Kendo Dogu and Shinai
– Bring your own lunch
We need volunteers as player. Kyu rank and children are also welcome.
Could you please ask your dojo members. We will provide lunch for them.
If anyone can participate as player, also please write their name on the list.
2019 SCKO Individual Kendo Championships Registration Form (Butokuden members only!)
RSVP by September 12th, 2019 THURSDAY
WHEN: OCTOBER 6th, 2019 (8AM-8:30AM)
LOCATION: WEST HIGH SCHOOL (20401 Victor St, Torrance, CA 90503)
We would like to cordially ask for your help in Shinpan (refereeing) (3 Dan and up) at the tournament.
Eligibility: All AUSKF Members. If the player is not an AUSKF member, a separate waiver form must be signed at registration.
Entry Fees: $20 (individual divisions – per person), $20 for Team division entry (One team only)
Bento Fees: $10 per person
1) Bento will be provided for all Shinpans at no charge
2) Maximum of 5 full-day volunteers per dojo will be provided with Bento at no charge
- 9 & Under Boys & Girls
- 10-11 Boys & Girls
- 12-13 Boys & Girls
- 14-15 Boys
- 16-18 Boys (Any Kyu&Dan)
- 14-18 Girls (Any Kyu&Dan)
- Men’s 1-2 Dan (Over 19 years old ) (Eto Cup)
- Men’s 3-4 (Nakabara Cup)
- Men’s 5 Dan and Up (Hori Cup)
- Women’s Dan (Akune Cup)
- Adult Kyu (19 & Over) Men & Women – (Lorimer Cup)
- 50 Years and Over Dan Men & Women – (Takenaka Cup)
- “5 Best Team Matches”
Rules: for Individual
- Tournament will follow FIK Rules and Regulations.
- Each person can only participate in “One division”and is responsible for bringing their own MEJIRUSHI (Red/White indicator)
- Nito-ryu is not allowed for Mudansha and 18 years and under divisions.
- Tsuki, Jodan, are not allowed for Mudansha and 14-15boys under divisions.
- Time Limit: All Round Robin matches (2 minutes and No Encho – Hantei), Tournament Round Matches (3 minutes and Encho-Ippon Shobu),
- Time Limit: All Yudansha Divisions (3 minutes and Encho-Ipponshobu)
Rules: for Team
- Team Match: 5 person team (Anyone: all age, gender, rank)
- – We will be collecting $20 per team for entry free. (Only one team per dojo)
- – For dojos in Southern California (SCKO, SCKF, and WKF), you will at least need 3 Kenshi from the same dojo. If you do not have enough to complete the 5, you will be allowed to recruit the remaining Kenshi (1-2) from other dojos.
- – For participants joining us from outside of Southern California, we will allow mix Kenshi from other dojos. This applies to those coming from CCKF and NCKF as well.
- – If an Yudansha adult and a youth were to have a match, we will honor the Yudansha rules. This will allow the Yudansha to do Jo-dan, Ni-to, and Tsuki.
- – For those youth entering the team match, please make sure they are old and capable enough to fight against adults. We suggest youth in high school.
- “5 Best Team Matches”: (3 minutes and No Encho )
Should A and B turn out to be even, a one-point match playoff (Daihyo-sen, Ippon Shobu) between chosen representatives
of each team will determine the winning team.
- In order to run the tournament efficiently, please have an adult accompany youth division teams at all times.
- Age as of October 1st, 2019
- Division Ranks as of October 1st, 2019
Please register using the form at the bottom of this page, so we can have an approximate head count.
PLEASE RSVP BY July 24th 2019!
We will have our annual Winery Gasshuku as follows. Unfortunately, we were not able to book the Dojo on Sunday morning, so you will be able to sleep in!
Pictures from Last year winery gasshuku.
Date/Time (July 27, 2019)
July 27 (Saturday):
1-4 PM: Kendo Practice
5-??: Wine and BBQ
Lompoc Recreational Center
124 W Walnut, Lompoc, CA 93436
Same as last year.
Adult Kenshis: $20 (if more needed, I will ask for a few more dollar on the spot)
18 & Under: $0 FREE
Wine and BBQ:
18 & Under: $5
Everyone to book the hotel on their own! Closest hotels to Jason’s place are the following:
SureStay Plus Hotel by Best Western Lompoc, Lompoc
Holiday Inn Express Lompoc, Lompoc
Motel 6 Lompoc, Lompoc
DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE!
Looking forward to a BIG participation!
Date: August 4, 2019
Roll Call: 8:30 AM
Place: CSULB, Pyramid
RSVP JULY 18
*Yudansha Divisions (Regular Tournament)
1 Dan, 2 Dan, 3 Dan, 4 Dan & Up, Women’s Dan, Adult Kyu (18 yrs & over)
4 minutes, Unlimited Extension
*No jodan, no nito, and no tsuki allow for Adult Kyu*
0-4 Kyu Team (3 kenshi, 17 years of age and under)
3-1 Kyu Team (3 kenshi, 17 years of age and under), open division, mix and Match of team members from other dojo/federation allowed)
Each Dojo can submit up to 2 teams in each division
3 minutes, no extension
*No jodan, no nito, and no tsuki allow
3 Kenshi consisting of any combination of below mentioned:
-Adult kyu (18 years of age and older)
– Yudansha (up to 3 dan and 30 years of age and older)
Minimum of 2 Kenshi per team
Taisho cannot tie. If there are any ties prior to the Taisho match both participants will sit down.
No jodan, no nito, and no tsuki
Each dojo can submit up to 2 teams for both Kyu and Kachinuki Teams.
Tournament Fee: $30.00
◦ Officials, staff members, spectators, and volunteers have FREE admission.
* There will be fee for car park at CSULB parking lot