Southern California Kendo Organization
To all SCKO Affiliated Dojo
Regarding: Additional requirement for Kendo Rank Promotion Examination
We would like to announce that Southern California Kendo Organization (SCKO) has decided to add an examination item for 1 Kyu, 2 Kyu, and 3 Kyu promotion exams. The new test item is called “Basic Kendo practice with Bokuto” and All Japan Kendo Federation has been implementing in their promotion exams for the past few years. Please refer to the link below:
Kenshis that have already obtained 1 Dan or higher will not have the opportunity to take this test. However, it is required that these people learn all the basic movements. Please master all 9 basic movements by yourself. If you have any questions, the SCKO Education department will always be happy to help you.
1. General: “Basic Kendo practice with Bokuto” is in total 9 basic steps which incorporates most of the basic Kendo movements. See explanation below (Japanese) and the video.
2. Since this is the first time we are implementing this, we will proceed in stages.
– November 2010 Promotion Exam: All 1 Kyu, 2 Kyu and 3 Kyu examinee must take the Bokuto Keiko Basic 1 to 4.
– April 2011: 1 Kyu and 2 Kyu examinee must take the Bokuto Keiko Basic 1 to 6, and 3 Kyu needs to take Basic 1 to 4.
– November 2011: 1 Kyu examinee must take a Bokuto Keiko Basic 1 to 9, 2 Kyu take Basic 1 to 6, and 3 Kyu take Basic 1 to 4.
– After April 2012: 1 Kyu – Basic 1 to 9
2 Kyu – Basic 1 to 6
3 Kyu – Basic 1 to 4
3. For a better understanding of Bokuto Keiko, SCKO Education will schedule seminars for all Dojo instructors (TBD). All Dojo instructors have the responsible to teach your Dojo members.
4. All 4 Kyu and higher Kenshis need their own Bokuto, which is required to learn Bokuto Keiko and also to take the exam.
This is an official announcement from SCKO and if you have any question, please contact the President, VP/Promotion, VP/education or Secretary of SCKO.