RSVP April 5
This is to inform you of the Semi Annual SCKO Rank Promotion Examination.
- Date: April 17, 2016 (Sunday)
- Time: Roll Call – Kyu Group: 9:00AM, Yudansha Group: 12:30PM
- Place: Butokuden Dojo, 1581 Browning, Irvine, CA 92606
- Examination Fee: Please see attached sheet
- Applicants Must Bring: All ranks must bring own Kendo-gu, neat Keiko-gi and Hakama, and Shinai.
3 Kyu and Up, bring Bokuto for taking “Bokuto Keiko hou” (Training Method for fundamental kendo techniques with Bokuto) and Nihon Kendo Kata exams.
1 Kyu and Up, bring completed Written Test Questionnaire.
- Examination Items: 6 Kyu: Men-uchi (twice), Kirikaeshi, (chakuso, reiho, hassei)
5 Kyu: Kirikaeshi, Men-uchi (twice), kote-men (twice), doh-uchi (twice), (chakuso, reiho, hassei)
4 Kyu: Kirikaeshi, gokaku-keiko, (chakuso, kamae, reiho, hassei)
3 Kyu: Gokaku-keiko, (chakuso, kamae, reiho, hassei), “Bokuto Keiko hou” 1-4
2 Kyu: Gokaku-keiko, (chakuso, kamae, reiho, hassei, datotsu-no-sae), “Bokuto Keiko hou” 1-6
1 Kyu: Gokaku-keiko, (chakuso, kamae, reiho, hassei, datotsu-no-sae, ki-ken-tai-ichi), Nihon Kendo Kata 1-3 and “Bokuto Keiko hou” 1-9, and written examination
1 Dan: Gokaku-keiko (one who is skilled and has learned the basics of kendo), Nihon Kendo Kata 1-5, and written examination
2 Dan: Gokaku-keiko (one who is finely skilled and has acquired the basics of kendo), Nihon Kendo Kata 1-7, and written examination
3 Dan: Gokaku-keiko (one who is superbly skilled and has expertise in the basics of kendo), Nihon Kendo Kata 1-10, and written examination
4 Dan: Gokaku-keiko (one who is exceptionally skilled and has mastered the basics and applied use of kendo), Nihon Kendo Kata 1-10, and written examination
- Volunteers Required: Please see attached volunteer request letter
(*1) All 1 Kyu and 1-4 Dan taking the exam must complete the attached written examination prior to the exam date. They must submit this on the day of the exam. Written examination is the last state of your promotion exam. (*2) Please distribute copies of attached Written Test Questionnaire to your dojo members for this purpose.
(*3) Examinees who successfully pass all stages of the rank exam MUST pay Certificate (Menjo) fee at the day of the exam, after the results are announced. Without paying the certificate fee on the day of the exam, the passed rank will be annulled.
(*4) AUSKF issues only English certificates.
(*5) All examinees must be a member of AUSKF and pay their annual fee before submitting for examination.
Please submit Promotion Exam Roster form with one check for the total examination fee per Dojo
RSVP 3/18 Friday
6th AUSKF Junior Open National Championships Information
> Saturday, June 25, 2016 (Tournament)
> Sunday, June 26, 2016 (Goodwill seminar)
Eastern Michigan University
18100 Meyers Rd. Detroit, MI. 48235 (Registration time for Tournament TBA)
> 9-years old and younger
> 10-11 years old
> 12-13 years old
> 14-15 years old
> 16-18 years old
> 13-under girls
> 14-18 girls
Boy’s Team Composition
Senpo 13-years old and under
Jiho/Chuken 15-years old and under
Fukusho/Taisho 18-years old and under
Girls Team Composition
Senpo/Chuken/Taisho 18-years old and under
Youth Team Composition (Both Boys and Girls)
Senpo/Chuken/Taisho 11 years and younger
Age Determination: January 1 will be the date for all birthdays. (whatever age you are as of January 1 will be your age for the tournament.)
Shinpan: 4-dan and up on a volunteer basis
> Tournament: $30 per participant
> Youth Seminar: $20 per participant
AUSKF Competition Committee
RSVP January 7, 2016
Date: Sunday, January 24, 2016
Sign in: 8:00-8:30am
Location: Wilson Park, Torrance, CA
Divisions: (Participant can only enter ONE division)
0-6 Kyu (age 12 and under)
5-4 Kyu (age 15 and under )
3-1 Kyu (Age 17 and under)
Girl’s Kyu (17 and under)
4 Dan & above
Senior Dan (50 and above)
Inaugural Murakami Cup Perpetual Trophy
Winner from each of four youth divisions (17 and under) will compete for the Murakami Cup
Inaugural Yamaguchi Cup Perpetual Trophy
Winner from each of four Yudansha divisions will compete for the Yamaguchi Cup
All Participants: $25.00
54th Steveston Kendo Taikai
This is one of the biggest tournament in North America. I hope many people can participate.
Date: Saturday, Feb 20th, 2016
Time: Parade of Participants – 9:00 AM
Place: McMath High School, 4251 Garry St., Richmond
Entry Deadline: Sunday, Jan 17th, 2016
12TH BUTOKUDEN DOJO TOSHIGOSHI KEIKO (2016 – 2016)
Dec 31: Toshigoshi Keiko (11 pm)
This is an annual event at our Dojo. We have been doing Toshigoshi Keiko since the start of our Dojo, back in 2004. We start practice at 11:00PM on new year’s eve, practice until midnight, we stop the Keiko to celebrate the new year, and then we go back to practice again, until approximately 1AM. After practice please stay to enjoy Mrs. Ariga’s delicious Ozoni (Japanese traditional Mochi Soup). All levels from all Dojos are welcome to participate.
Everyone is welcome!
Dec 31 Schedule:
Dojo Opens at 10:45PM
2015 Practice starts at 11:15 PM (Jigeiko Only, so please warm up yourself prior to Keiko)
2015 Practice ends at 11:55 PM
New Year Celebration! at MIDNIGHT
2016 Practice starts at 00:10 AM
2016 Practice ends at 00:50 AM
Ozoni and Sake Party
Pictures from 2014 – 2015 Toshigoshi Keiko
PDF Version of the official invitation >> FIK Invitation to FY2015 American Zone Kendo Referee Seminar in Toronto (AUSKF)
Please ready carefully and fill out the form below. (This application page is for SCKO Members only!)
FIK announced that the FIK Kendo Referee Seminar for the American Zone (FY 2015) will be held in January 2016 in Toronto, Canada.
1. Date: January 30 & 31, 2016 (Saturday & Sunday)
2. Host Organization: Canadian Kendo Federation (CKF)
3. Place: Japanese Canadian Cultural Center (6 Garamond Court, Toronto, Ontario M3C 1Z5)
* Transportation is provided between HQ Hotel and Venue/Party Restaurant.
4. Accommodation Reservations:
Please book the rooms by yourself. Hotel recommended by CKF is as below. This rate will be applied
for your stay of January 29, 30 and 31. Only 50 rooms are able to be booked with this rate (first come,
HQ Hotel: The Westin Prince Hotel, Toronto
900 York Mills Road, Toronto, Ontario, M3B 3H2, Canada
Tel: +1(416) 444-2511, Room reservation: +1 (888) 627-8550
Website: dedicated link page for participant,
Price of one room (2 beds) per night. CAD$157.07 (includes tax)
* Booking: Please, call and specify “KENDO”
* Breakfast Buffet is CAD$24.86 (includes tax)
* Transportation by chartered bus has been arranged by CKF as follows.
January 30 Saturday:
08:15 departure from Westin Prince Hotel to JCCC
17:30 JCCC to Westin Prince Hotel
January 30 Saturday evening:
18:30 Hotel to the Welcome Banquet (Gold Mark)
From the Banquet to the Hotel drop off 22:00
January 31 Sunday morning:
08:15 Pick up, Hotel to Seminar (JCCC)
5. Access: Toronto Pearson International Airport to the Westin Prince Hotel:
30 minutes by taxi / 29km/ taxi fare: 50 CAD$ plus tip
West Prince Hotel to Seminar (JCCC): 10 minutes (5 km)
6. Schedule outline:
January 30 (Sat) 2016: Seminar, Goodwill Keiko 09:00-16:30 Welcome Party 19:00-21:00
January 31 (Sun) 2016: Seminar, Goodwill Keiko 08:30-12:00
7. Participants expected:
* A participant should be a member of the FIK affiliated organization in principle.
* A participant is a holder of Kendo 5-Dan or more upper Dan in principle, who practice Kendo continually.
(4-Dan holders are accepted as well if he/she desires.)
* No age limitation.
* 5 or more participants from one FIK affiliated organization are preferable.
* The candidates for the WKC referees are requested to participate in this seminar.
* The application form covers up to 12 applicants, but this is not a limit. In case of more than 12
participants, please make a copy of application form and use it.
* Please do not be absent from this seminar except for an unavoidable reason.
* Nobody can participate in this seminar without official registration.
* Please wear Keiko-gi, Hakama, and Tare while participating in the seminar.
The participant bears the responsibility of their expenses for travel, accommodations and meals.
Box lunches are available on both days, for the cost of CAD$12.00 per bento.
The Welcome Banquet (optional). Location is “Gold Mark Chinese Cuisine”.
7501 Woodbine Ave. Markham, Ont, Canada L3R 2W1
Tel: 905 477 2268, Website: www.goldmarkchinesecuisine.com
The cost of the welcome-party is CAD$50.00 includes tax and tip. (Cash Bar)
BYOB-Bringing your own alcohol is permitted.
(1) Three instructors will be sent from International Kendo Federation.
(2) Interpreter (Japanese, English) will be provided during the seminar.
Download 2016 E-BOGU Calendar here!